Friday, September 23, 2011

the marketplace

All these vintage fabrics i brought home from the Vintage Textile Fair have been sewn with.
I have a few big markets coming up.

Kraftbomb, my beloved regular market is this Sunday (11-2 at Grey Lynn Community Centre if you're in the area, come say hi) and the big Labour Day Piha Market is next month. There are still some stalls left, get in touch if you'd like to have your wares there. It's a great day out for the family with a kids area, beautiful food and coffee and some real bargains. One of my market highlights of the year along with the Titirangi Steiner Advent Fair in November. I had a pile of market sewing to do, which i promptly ignored and instead got stuck into making this shirt for myself. It's a tradition, to make new season's wear. I used Simplicity 3835, a built by Wendy pattern that i just love. I tweaked the shirt pattern to come up with this shirt. Instead of using elastic around the neck and arms, i altered the arms to be cap sleeves and created a big casing to form the neckline. There is no gathering, i made a long ribbon using the same fabric and threaded that through, finishing it off with a bow. Very happy with it. Along with the jersey batwing tops i have designed and will make their debut at the GrowMama piha market stall.


There was enough fabric left to make some heirloom baby shoes for this weekend's market.

And, some for the boys.


I started out making all unisex clothes and accessories but soon realised that my idea of unisex and many other peoples did not add up to the same thing. Then i got so many requests for florals and pink clothes for girls that i cracked. I try and have something for everyone now. The GrowMama Felt store, my online marketplace is looking good. With two sales in it's first week of being stocked, hoorah! On market days i may withdraw items in my shop while i have them on the GrowMama stall, but never fear, they'll be re-instated on my return from market. See you there. Or back here, whichever comes first. May your weekend be all you need it to be. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment