Thursday, April 4, 2013

Kitchen Goodness: wholefoods chili


   
It's the last pickings of the drought ridden summer garden. Bless chili's for their robustness. They are the last survivors. We haven't had enough rain to be planting our winter garden yet so we're down to the little box garden of salads and herbs. I am grateful for that much. 
I love this time of year, wearing an extra layer, re-discovering clothes half forgotten about from the previous winters, the house is filled with the smell of simmering soup and freshly baked cookies. I can't remember the last time I baked, it's been way too hot for months to think of heating up our little house even more with the oven on.
I'll get back to making bread and chili soon too. I love a good chili in the cooler months. I usually make it up as i go along, but a friend sent me a link to this Spicy Vegetarian Chili in the Wholefoods recipe log. I'll see if I can behave myself long enough to follow a recipe exactly. Sigh. Odds on my chances? I'm not known for my obedience in following recipes. Or following sewing patterns either for that matter) Those urges to add a little extra something can be pretty fierce!
                           
I came to love cornbread with chili when I lived in the States. I cooked for 120'ish people on the commune (Twin Oaks Intentional Community) back then, so my recipe is for large quantities and I have never found a good recipe for home-based cooking. This autumn might be the time to crack that one. 

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait for the rain to arrive to get some winter plantings happening. I was so amazed to find a ton of little lettuce seedlings popping up in the dry earth yesterday, there is some hope!

    ReplyDelete