Sunday, May 26, 2013

Pixie hoodies

 
Each season I check through Jed's drawers and take stock. A bunch of stuff gets passed on to the cousins and friends. I have to get sign off from every item that comes into his clothing repertoire because otherwise it won't get worn. Ever. So, I check in with him and we draw up a few things he'd like me to make for him or look for secondhand. (He REALLY has to twist my arm!)


 

I have been using the hoodie pattern from the Clothes Kids Love book by Nancy Langdon and Sabine Pollehn, for a few years now and it is a favourite. There are a bunch of easy to follow choices for custom designing your version...short sleeve, long sleeve, side panels, different hoods and they have a large size range. It is truly a must have book if you are a sewing mama. We love the simple pixie hood version. Top pic is a cosy olive green merino and above, (on his plane he just designed and built by himself) is a pixie hoodie in a super soft merino-cotton blend. Recognise the fabric?!
 
 
And, the exciting discovery of the year: my new twin needle. I got a few emails when I mentioned it so I thought I'd show you. This nifty little number gives you a super professional finished hem on knit fabrics. I used a stretch zigzag for years and it works fine. The twin needle just takes your seamstress'ing up a notch.


Like this. Fancy huh.
The little guy has worn his new hoodies every day and has requested two more: Success!

(If daunted, enter 'twin needle tutorial' into Youtube.com and you'll be away. )

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I found this web site, I couldn't find any knowledge on this matter prior to.Also operate a site and if you are ever interested in doing some visitor writing for me if possible feel free to let me know, im always look for people to check out my web site.
    Hoodies

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing websites that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. It is the old what goes around comes around routine. hoodies

    ReplyDelete