Saturday, June 22, 2013

birthday brag


One of the surprises on my birthday morning was a gift certificate to an entrancing store on Auckland's Ponsonby Road. It's been a challenging time in many ways. I have been chronically unwell for a long time as well...and that just makes everything that little bit harder. I am on the mend now (I fervently hope) and with a new sense of what so many chronically ill people in this world live with. I think this special birthday gift was a little tip of the hat to the trials of the last year or so. (Thank you people, for that. x). Lying in bed with the flu on my actual birthday it was the thought of redeeming that voucher that had me graceful about it all.
I'd be lying if I said that voucher hadn't been burning a hole in my pocket. So, braving the weather, the remains of the flu, an unhappy little boy AND some looming deadlines...I went to town. Ha! 
Literally. Money hasn't been evident in huge quantities in any of my life and it was SUCH a treat to have that birthday voucher and know I could buy whatever I fell in love with.


This is what I came home with. I only took the earrings off long enough to photograph. Usually jewellery like this is very heavy, but these are light. Backed with leather and apart from the strands of the necklace, not a precious gemstone in sight. They remind me of Frida Kahlo. She is one of my style heroes.


Just what was needed. Splashes of colour to brighten up winter. I LOVE them! 

11 comments:

  1. Glad you got this birthday treat!! My actual b'day was a bit of a dud this year too - sick boyf, grumpy kids, etc etc. Oh well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stella and Yeah...expectations can fall flat in the madness of everyday life that has to continue hey? One day when we actually get to meet I'll tell you the true context around my birthday day..ai yi yi. I am just wired to focus on the positive I think!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love red so I'm loving this necklace! Such a beautiful treat - so nice to choose something for yourself too xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have quite a bit of red landed in my wardrobe recently...it was all looking a bit bleak. Not anymore! x

      Delete
  4. Hi. What shop did you get these from? LOVE the necklace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I knew someone would ask! Shellshocked. Stunning in there. x

      Delete
  5. Beautiful jewellery! So glad you got to treat yourself. I've been chronically ill for about months (but on the mend now) so I can relate. Hope you continue into good health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jen, I am sorry to hear that you've been ill...it really sucks. May your healing be speedy. x

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear you are on the mend sweet thing - loving that jewellery too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't HAD to have a nap to get through the day for months...wahoo! ....and emerged with a new understanding about living with chronic illness.

      Delete