Wednesday, June 5, 2013

my favourite chore

.

My favourite chore in the world is stacking wood. Yup! The sheer physicality of it. The smell. Being outside in the cold. The thought of the winter of snuggling in front of the fire to come.


I had help for about ten minutes before he made a 'fire', built a hideout and tried to revive a skink we found at the bottom of that enormous pile of wood. Poor dude must've made it's home in the woodpile then Axeman Jack tipped his load of wood into our driveway. And yes, that IS our firewood dude's real name. Dude is also suitably weathered, super lovely and is missing quite some fingers. Jed is convinced he's a retired pirate.


 I love that fresh cut wood smell and there is something I find satisfying in making order from chaos.


When I lived at Twin Oaks Community I'd do whatever I could to be on the wood delivery team in autumn. Cruising the community in a beat up old American dodge pick up trucks in my overalls and beanie. Keeping an eye out for hibernating snakes. Stopping to unload and stack wood for each of the houses. Breath steaming. Anissa heaven. It was the only time I was happy to get up early. (I was not born an early morning person.)


The skink didn't make it. Skink vs a pick up truck full of firewood. Hmm. But she did get a glorious and touching send off. Gravestone, flowers, ceremony and all. Very sweet.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful new look Anissa....crisp and colourful but still remains true to your lovely handmade philosophy. Love your photo too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicky, appreciate your feedback. It's been a fascinating process. x

      Delete
  2. my favorite chore too! also enjoy the chopping part of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, the chopping! There was a time in France, when I used to set off into the forest with my handsaw and would lug deadwood back for the fire. Then came the phase when I gave that up and was rather enamoured with my chainsaw...these days I am happy for Axeman Jack to do the chopping!

      Delete