Tuesday, June 18, 2013

star babies


I love hand sewing projects. I had this star baby project in a tray in our living area for the last few weeks. They were easy to pick up and work on while Jed is working on a project. It's a good feeling to be each working on their own project and yet, be sharing creative space. 
Star babies are a lovely idea for toddlers and other young 'uns birthday gifts. They pop into a pocket, nestle into crooks of trees and are beautifully child hand sized. 


Naturally dyed woollen felt is such tactile joy to work with too. 


I have a tutorial coming up for you. The crafty among you could just look at the jumble on my craft table in the photo above and wing it, I am sure.


You too can have your own star baby squadron. These aren't for us, Jed has been spending two mornings a week at the local (ish) Steiner kindergarten, alongside our usual lovely homebased rhythms, and each parent  does some crafting for the children's bazaar at the annual Advent Fair. I got to make star babies. Clearly!

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, total CUTENESS! They are simply adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they really are. It always makes me heart melt to see the recipients eyes light up and the little chuddy hands open to them. So worth making. x

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Aren't they...i tried a bright coloured felt too but it just didn't seen right! x

      Delete
  3. Those are super cute!!! And happy birthday for yesterday, hope you feel better soon! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stella! And yes, feeling better, thank goodness. x

      Delete
  4. I love this felt. Where do you get it from in NZ please?
    I have a wee one who would love some star babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get all most of my natural crafting materials from the little Forest Folk store at the Titirangi Steiner School. You can pop in there. They have funny opening hours so check first. Or you can buy via their website forestfolk.co.nz. If there isn't any of the naturally dyed ones like i used listed, get in touch with them and ask. It's a magical wee place, and Leah who runs it now is lovely. Happy crafting!

      Delete
    2. Thank you I will check out the website as I live in Wellington:-))

      Delete
  5. I have made so many of these over the years for the school fairs. I some bits & pieces for you so we will have to arrange that visit soon x

    ReplyDelete