Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Homemade Pantry


Every now and then I get a book out of the library but then find myself unwilling to part with it.
This is one:
The Homemade Pantry - 101 Foods you can stop buying and start making.
By Alana Chernila.

This is a lady after my own heart. There are recipes for everything from bread, ketchups, preserves, cheeses, spreads...anything you can think of.
I highly recommend it.
I loved it so much i had to buy a copy. You know, new. Not from a thrift store or secondhand. 
Yeah, huh!


This is a household favourite. It has the unflattering name of Car Snack 2 (or the Sweet bar). We have stopped buying any sort of individually packaged muesli bar and have serving these up instead. These do have butter and sugar in them but I would rather know what was in what we eat. There's no wheat flour in them, which is a bonus. The kids love them. Actually, I haven't met anyone who doesn't love them yet. And they are super easy and fast to make.
Here's the recipe: (DO get hold of a copy of the book though, it's a keeper)

Car snack 2. 

1/2 cup unsalted butter, 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar, 1/2 cup golden syrup, 2 cups rolled oats, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 cup raw sliced almonds 

1) Oven preheated to 350F. Line a 9 inch pan.
2) Combine butter, brown sugar, and syrup in the saucepan, and heat over medium heat until melted, about 3 minutes. Add the oats, salt, and almonds to the mix and coat thoroughly. Transfer to the pan and pat down with a spatula.
3)Bake until the edges darken, about 25 minutes. The mixture will be soft but allow it to cool completely before taking it out of the pan and cutting into bars.

You can wrap the bars in baking paper, or keep them in a baking tin and they keep in the freezer. 

We used crushed cashews instead of almonds once. That was yum, but mostly, we keep them nut free and add 3/4 of Whittakers dark chocolate hacked into hunks. Oh my. So good! 
Enjoy. And thank you, Alana, for a fabulous book. 

6 comments:

  1. OOhh that sound delicious. You know that we will have to try this one very soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really good! Let me know how you get on. Might have to stop by for a sneak taste. x

      Delete
  2. oooh I'm going to have to try that one! - maybe without the chocolate though! I've got "Cook on a shoestring" by Sophie Wright out from the library at the moment, I've renewed it, might have to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I do that too. Every now and then there is a book I can't part with. x

      Delete
  3. Oh yeah, that looks like my kinda book, thanks for the heads up x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to share the good ones. But, I did learn not to recommend a book before I had returned it to the library. I would have a book out, write a post on it, then go to renew it and there'd be a load of requests on it and I couldn't renew. Bother!

      Delete