Monday, July 22, 2013

geeking out on lego


Lego fever has hit the house. We've had various little sets for years but it's gone way beyond that. Any sort of lego will do and he'll build his amazing creations for hours. But is the Legends of Chima that has him transfixed. 

My sister and I didn't have lego when we were growing up. I didn't realise what I had missed out on. Who knew I would like lego? I had to admit to being a little sad when Jed starting building the sets from the instructions himself. I kinda liked that bit. Sigh! A favourite tired afternoon activity is to dump a bunch of lego pieces in a patch of sun and free form build. I drive Jed crazy with my multi-coloured, assymetrical creations...everything is symetrical and matching and colour coded in his orderly world. (Sometimes I scratch my head that I grew the beginnings of this kid...honestly!)


And Jed has re-discovered my camera. And smart phone camera. So, I have loads of photos of various lego creations and the few Chima critters and vehicles Jed has. The kid can be focussed for hours on creating and documenting his work. He even has a favourite lego designer.


Even his birthday party invitations had to have a Chima theme. We've gone from handmade paper and rainbow gnomes in last years invites to Chima lego's fierce animal tribe emblems this year. Welcome to the world of a soon-to-be six year old boy I guess. But, hang on. Stereotypes don't apply, Jed's friend Isla is right in there with him. Go Isla!

8 comments:

  1. I believe there is some Lego stuff going on at Lynn mall this week - would be worth checking out? My kids love Lego too - it has totally taken over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was there solo and saw they have sessions you have to book for. Parents not allowed - boo! Plus kinda big crowds for some kids. I am not sure what exactly they do in the sessions. Let me know if you go. x

      Delete
  2. Arlo and Billy are well into the Chima craze at the moment too... I swear there isn't a bit of the house I don't find small bits of lego in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it gets everywhere that stuff. I went to pay for something at a cafe today and all there was in my coin wallet was lego!

      Delete
  3. no Chima here, but loads and loads of lego. I grew up with it and my sister and I would play for hours with it. It's amazing sutff, I love when they throw the instructions away and let their imaginations take hold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that creative building really is amazing to watch unfold isn't it? I hope you saved all your lego from when you were a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have an abundance of lego here even though our boys are all grown up. I don't miss standing on those blocks in the middle of the night though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah...good to know. When I stop by for a cup of tea, we'll have time to chat for sure if there is lego in your house!

      Delete