Thursday, July 25, 2013

Modcloth did the right thing


For my birthday I bought myself a dress. A new one. Okay, it was on sale on the Modcloth website, but still...a new dress! Not handmade and not secondhand. Here it is. I wore it to a morning of work meetings and by the afternoon there was a huge rip down the back. It was unfixable, the fabric had frayed at the seam. I was so disappointed. I photographed the rip and emailed Modcloth. I didn't hear anything back but an email notifying me that an identical dress had been shipped. Thank you Modcloth for responding so quickly. Hmm. What to do with the ripped one?


After looking at it for a few days, I did what any self respecting thrifty dressmaker would do. I altered it. I took the sleeves off. Cut the elastic waist out and took the hem up to above the fault. Et voila...a tunic dress. I think I will get more wear out of this than the original dress. 


I do like the print. It reminds me of dear friends in New Mexico. 


The ideal belt leapt into my hand at the local thrift store. It went from disaster to a great outcome. I do love a good upcycle.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, Anissa. Your creative spirit got to work and made something new. It's encouraging to hear that the supplier responded so well: good business practice, that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juliet. It's funny. It was meant to be a treat buying something new, and while it is nice...I so much prefer a good trawl through an op shop! Modcloth could have gone one better and actually emailed. I didn't actually hear from them. But, yes, I was impressed they did the right thing. x

      Delete