Saturday, October 19, 2013

a tale of a dress


Some of you will remember the big Vintage Sale of Hazel May's collection I was involved in. One of the pieces I brought home was a stunning piece of vintage 50's fabric. Once home, I realised it was the skirt of a dress that had been carefully unpicked, complete with fade marks to show where the pleats had been arranged. I lovingly placed it in my fabric stash, wondering what on earth I would do with it.


A few weeks later, my Vintage Sale co-conspirator and I were in the middle of a catering gig when she handed me the matching bodice of the dress. She found it in a pile. No way was that going to fit me I thought.

But, it was a dream project and I couldn't resist. One night I dug out a vintage zipper and sat for hours figuring out how to reconstruct the dress. I took out the bodice side seams as far as I could. Not everyone's idea of a fun Friday night, but I had a blast. And the next miracle...was that it fit! Er, there will be no large dinners consumed while wearing it, but it's an empire line dress, so it's forgiving. Love that fabric. I still have the hem to finish and that's ALOT of hand stitching required to hem that full skirt but it will be worth it. My first fifties era vintage dress!

8 comments:

  1. Oh it is lovely! You have made a beautiful job, what a lovely story behind your dress too. I hope you have many sunny beach days to enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think i might have it hemmed in time for Christmas at this rate! Can't wait!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely "meant to be" story! It looks so beautiful and so worth all the effort to bring it back to life! Looks like it will be a firm favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel a bit special...I don't have a vintage dress with a full skirt like that...definitely something regal or special about the full skirt. x

      Delete
  3. It was made (and then re-made) just for you! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I do wonder about who made it, and what fabulous stories it could tell...part of the allure of vintage for me is my imagination gets to run riot! (It likes to do that)

      Delete