Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Washi Dress. A pattern review of sorts.


The Washi dress was all over crafty blogdom awhile back. I finally splurged and bought the pattern. I am so glad I did. A little sewing therapy was definitely called for. This dress will be a summer staple this year.  


The ikat fabric is new, which is unusual for me. Most of my stash comes from thrift stores or other vintage sources but this fabric sang out to me and came home. I know! I couldn't quite believe it myself. 


I chose the pdf pattern. It's like a big jigsaw putting those together. Fun, if you're into that sort of thing. 
The washi dress pattern is easy to follow with step by step instructions and has a briefer checklist sort of version for those more experienced. There is a choice of neckline (plain or with a keyhole type feature) and sleeveless or cap sleeves. The pockets can be cut out as part of the skirt pieces. The interfacing sits well and the armholes are finished with bias binding. I chose a contrasting pattern. I really like these easy to make, easy to wear sorts of dresses. The only thing I would say is that the sizing is spot on. The bodice is quite fitted so measure up and go a size up if in doubt. I used this fabulous vintage print below for my first attempt and it was too tight. A size up and I was good to go. I love a dress I can whip up in an evening. Just good to know that if the laundry pile gets too out of hand I can always sew. Kidding. Kinda.


You can find the washi dress pattern over at Made By Rae.

2 comments: