Monday, January 27, 2014

A retreat in a day with Stephanie Dowrick


I got to spend the day with this wonderful woman on Saturday. Well, me and sixty or so others. But still, it was special. It was Mana Retreat's annual Retreat in a Day with Stephanie Dowrick.
How special to have a whole day of reflection, teaching, and connection...with no phones ringing, no work stress, no meals to make, nowhere to rush off to. My New Years gift to myself.

I first saw Stephanie speak about her role as founder of The Womens Press in London in the seventies and was captivated. I really resonated with her and her work. We both came from a feminist perpective, are mama's and writers, are passionate about our social change work and have deeply enquiring minds. Stephanie is an ordained interfaith minister in Sydney now and is the author of many bestselling books. I have three on my shelf, with another two on the way. Intimacy and Solitude was an important book for me to read years ago and I still have Choosing Happiness by my bed. I came home with her new book, Heaven on Earth and I can see that is one to be savoured for many years to come.

This year will be one of many changes and it felt good to walk away from the retreat with much to think about, but refreshed and feeling lighter. 

You can 'like' Stephanie's official page on facebook to get a mini-taste of her work.

Thank you Stephanie and Rev.Hilary Star and others from the Auckland Interfaith Community and Donna and folks from Mana for helping the day happen. 

2 comments:

  1. Anissa, how wonderful that you could gift yourself this special day. I had a wedding on that day! But I thought about you all and hoped it was going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you Juliet. It was a lovely one. x

      Delete