Sunday, February 16, 2014

Spirographs and hieroglyphs.


I have been on the lookout for a vintage spirograph set for years. Then I spotted this 'Spiro in a tin' set at our Museum for Transport and Technology (MOTAT) shop. I umm'ed and ahh'ed, but I am glad it made the cut. It's been a winner with all the family. Pretty trippy stuff. I think the smaller size is actually better for smaller hands to manage. One of those good buys. I like that it is small and compact, I can pop it in my bag to pull out if 'something to do' is ever required when we are out and about. Hours of fun.


Another lot of paperbased learning emerged later in the day out of a session on Ancient Egypt. We were looking at how they lived, and specifically how they made papyrus paper and ink out of charcoal. This led to some great experiments including making different paint and ink pigments, finding 'reeds' (raiding the rabbits straw supply) for 'reed pens' and some awesome attempts at hieroglyph writing. Pleasing to this homeschooling mama because a terrible case of learning malaise seems to have struck the small one. He'd be perfectly happy just swimming all day and making a replica of the valley of the kings in the sand. I suppose we all have our days...

4 comments:

  1. Looks like fun. I've never heard of these, so maybe a trip to Motat is due.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a Spirograph set for Christmas when I was about 12 years old and I just loved it. A few years ago I saw an original one at our school fair with the pens still in the box- there were opaque with tiny stripes the same colour as the ink in the pen. There was red, blue, green,& yellow pens & all the design parts were there - a complete set for only $5. For some reason I couldn't justify buying it. Silly me as I have regretted it ever since!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, there have been times when i walked away from a find in an op shop 'to save money'...we were talking a savings of $5 max and regretted it. Ah well. I always coveted my cousins spirograph when i was young so I get to finally have one to use now! Better late than never etc! I was thinking to experiment with using fabric pens and spirograph designs on fabric....(of course crafting with fabric had to come into it somewhere!)

      Delete