Monday, March 31, 2014

mystery fruit in mailbox


Jed has been getting a few surprises in the mailbox lately. Our dear friend Claire, who is the most amazing cook, has been popping mystery fruits into the mailbox in paper bags. 
So exciting! And very thoughtful. (Thank you Claire!)


This one had me stumped. We cracked it open, confident we would work it out. But, no.


We had to resort to the internet. Jed instructed me to search for 'fruit that looks like poo'. So funny. It worked too! It's a tamarind. I have used the paste countless times in cooking various dishes but had never come across the original fruit. I really really like to know where the food we eat comes from, so this was cool. Once my flatmates in Prague (Hi Ian and Petr!) grew every grain in the apartment on our windowsill. I want to do that with Jed next growing season. 


And the tamarind fruit cases are being used as a kind of gourd for very small snacks. Blueberry anyone?! 

4 comments:

  1. What a thoughtful friend! How exciting! I'm always interested in seeing new fruit and vegetables and trying to grow them. I'm off to see how it grows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is the super nicest for sure! Exploring how the tamarind grows is the next step in our research. Good thing we homeschool...these things can take us on long journeys of exploration!

      Delete
  2. 'fruit that looks like poo' ha ha made me laugh + it worked ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...well, you know 5 and 6 year olds! He was right though, I played around with using other search terms and his search term was by far the clearest and fastest results! It is a most amazing fruit. Jed still won't try it though, says it looks too much like poo. Funny.

      Delete