Monday, June 2, 2014

Fresh air


For a long while, I always knew where Jed was. Even when he was tiny, he was my shadow. Some of his mates were runners, but not Jed. I could trust him to let me know where he was (if he wasn't RIGHT THERE!). I trusted he would go further when he was ready. He still lets me know where he's off to, but sheesh, the kid can roam. And sheesh, it's a good feeling watching him go. 


There have been some big milestones lately. Jed and I were talking and I told him how proud I was of him. Not for the things he does well that come easily to him, but for the hard stuff, the stuff he has to work hard for, or really push himself on. He has amazed me often these last few weeks. Surprised me a few times. I think he surprised himself.


We took a break (from Mama's work mainly) and he biked while I got a good brisk walk in. It was a beautiful crisp wintry sort of an afternoon. Perfect for exploring a part of our neighbourhood we had never ventured into. The photograph above is of one lone Californian quail that distracted me while the rest of her family fled in the other direction...there must have been 18 or twenty of them we disturbed. 


At the risk of sounding like a stuck record (for those of you who've been around the GrowMama neighbourhood awhile)...it was a reminder of HOW GOOD is to get out for a change of scenery. 


Sometimes the phone calls can wait, the to-do list will still be there when we get back and it's okay if dinner is buckwheat pancakes with blueberries. Those are probably the fun meals they'll remember anyway!


And who can resist going for a walk/bike ride when we live in this beautiful place?! SO lucky. We are so lucky.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post Anissa! You're right, it's important to make time for these experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so easy to forget, or let the lists of things to do overwhelm us...seize the day i say! xx

    ReplyDelete