Monday, June 16, 2014

mushroom season


This is the first mushroom we have seen on our land. It made me put a Mushroom identification handbook on my birthday wishlist...we are total geeks for identification books around here. Books in general, but nature books are a pretty big wedge of the stash on the shelves. 
When I lived in Pyrenees (France), I used to spend hours out in the mountains with the dogs. They would chase wild pigs (Sanglier) and I would hunt for mushrooms. Cep, girolles and parasol mushrooms were my favourite. Fried with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt. Nothing else like it, we dined like kings those months of the year and dried plenty for the mushroomless season ahead. 
My favourite was when my old neighbours (and they were very old most of them) would invite me out mushrooming with them. Me and dogs had the job of chasing off wild pigs and dealing with any scorpions and snakes (which I am fascinated by and they were terrified of). They would distract me by sending me off on little patches of mushrooms down steep gullies then sneaking off up on the path to mushroom patches of their dreams. Often the location of these favourite mushroom patches were passed down through the generations and the information zealously guarded. Oh, they were hilarious!
We'd all compare mushroom hauls in our baskets on the way back down into the village. They were fonts of knowledge about living sustainably those folks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment