Sunday, August 10, 2014

Beetroot hummus and homemade crackers


Those of you who have been around awhile know I like to have a go at making pretty much everything, at least once. Homemade crackers have been on my list for a year. I went to a Raw Foods workshop my good friend and talented herbalist and naturopath friend Nicki MacKinnon gave a few months ago and got inspired. I used her cracker recipe, but in absence of a dehydrator, baked the crackers at a very low heat for a looong time. The main ingredient is ground flax seed and they are super delicious. I will ask her if I can share the recipe with you. We like crackers but reading the ingredient list was making me feel a bit ill and really good ones from the health food stores are so expensive, I am so happy to be making them at home now.


And how is THIS for a festive food?! It makes me happy just looking at it. And I don't even like the colour pink usually. Beetroot hummus. Plus homemade crackers. Equals happy!



Beetroot Hummus

Tin/400g chickpeas, drained
2  beetroots, peeled and boiled til soft
2-4 cloves garlic crushed
1 lemon’s worth of freshly squeezed juice
90ml olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1-2 tblsp tahini

Throw it all in the blender and process until smooth.

If too thick, add a bit of water.

Easy! (You're welcome!)
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment