Saturday, August 23, 2014

Fabric-a-brac - the rundown

The blank looks when I told people I was going to Fabric-a-brac gave way to looks of befuddlement when I explained it was a fabric market. That's one way to tell the textile enthusiasts and crafters from the uninitiated or uninterested! It's a great little event, with all proceeds to Mercy Hospice. They put on a cream tea with homebaking for fundraising alongside the market, all on beautiful vintage teasets.


I got to meet the lovely Sarah, from Sew Love Tea Do. She has a shop in St Kevin's Arcade off Auckland's Karangahape Road where she runs workshops and classes from. The name breaks down to 'Learn to SEW and LOVE the earth over a cup of TEA. We can DO good.' Can't wait to see the store!


Co-founder of Sew Fun, blogger (Mermaids Purse), fellow homeschooler and jolly good friend, Angela Carter had a stall with another lovely, Estelle, plus many other familiar faces. The combination of fabric, friends and cream tea on a sunny Saturday morning is a heady one folks! In a gentle textile geeky sort of a way.


I bought some beautiful pieces from Louana of Green Buttons blog. and snapped up some patterns and Burda magazines for $1 a pop. Plus a big bag of felt for art projects with the kids. I also found some vintage handkerchiefs, I have a collection and am famous for always having one on me. So useful. 


This green and brown polka dot in a cotton linen blend is going to be perfect for the cushion Jed wants to make for his room. He's had the cushion inner and zip waiting for ages and couldn't settle on the right fabric. This one got the thumbs up. Phew.


There was a huge turnout. Much bigger than any time I've had a stall. I saw promotion for the market everywhere...whatever they did differently this time worked a treat. Nice one Mercy Hospice! 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely to see you Anissa! I'm glad a few favourite pieces made their way to your house, it was by far the busiest Fabric-a-brac I had been to.

    ReplyDelete