Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Most Treasured Possession - Stella of The Golden Adventures...

 Most Treasured Possession feature on GrowMama:
I have asked some lovely bloggers to share their most treasured possession with us and let us know why it is so treasured. 
Unfashionable in this age of decluttering, simplifying and tiny houses I know…but we all have our treasures.

This week with her Most Treasured Possession is 


Stella Rutherford





I wasn't sure what to pick at first.  The (boring) first thing that popped into my head was my laptop, filled to bursting with photos of my babies, and with all my various writings and illustrations hidden in it's archives.  However it was reading Gabrielle's post that reminded me of this one thing that I treasure about all other treasures.  Eleanor's 'coming home' bonnet - handknitted by my mama. 


My daughter's birth was a little traumatic for me, and resulted in her spending 24 hours or so in SCBU.  As a first time mama, this was extremely distressing and disorienting and I have to admit that it took me a surprisingly long amount of time to heal.  The most painful thing was feeling disconnected from my baby in those first, precious hours, and it wasn't until she was safe in my room and my arms, that I finally felt I could call myself her mother.  I remember the exact moment I placed this bonnet on her little head.  It was her 'coming home' bonnet, knitted by my mother, and in that act of dressing her, I felt I was claiming her as my own.  I feel like the bonnet is still holds imbued with the power of that moment, and it acted as my son's 'coming home' bonnet also.  I kinda can't wait to see it on another baby, one day :-)

(Eleanor in second pic, Garland in the first, close-up pic)

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing your most treasured possession with us Stella. 
Those of you who have not 'met' Stella and her blog yet...YOU MUST! Stella is a very talented illustrator and writes young adult fiction. Plus, she is just super lovely. After corresponding for a few years, we finally got to meet a few weeks ago at a Blog Coffee meet up. And yes, she is just as nice in person. More so, if that's possible.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful...must be some special magic in the things grans knit for their mokopuna

    ReplyDelete