Friday, November 14, 2014

Asparagus season


I try and eat locally grown fruit and vegetables that are in season. 'Try' being the key word there. If the source of fresh produce is on the other side of the world, chances are, I will put it back on the shelf. I do treat myself to some tropical fruit from the Pacific Islands though. That's kinda next door. Ahem. The occasional sexy looking mango or pineapple I find irresistible. (Gulp, sorry food miles!)

It's asparagus season here. It's so exciting to have foods that are only available at certain times of the year.I discovered asparagus growing wild in France. People would stop their cars and pick the fresh asparagus spears from the side of the road. My favourite was seeing folks all dressed up with their hands and knees smeared with earth from grubbing around. 

Lightly steamed and drizzled with a good oil and sea salt with an egg on the side is a popular lunch around here. I want to try this asparagus tempura recipe.  It has to be good! 

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I don't buy tomatoes at all over the Winter months and I try hard not to buy imported fruit and veges, but at this time of the year I always treat myself to some pomegranates! I try not to feel guilty about all the food miles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treats are so good! The fact we have them occasionally or seasonally only makes them all the more treat-like and special I think. x

      Delete