Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Finds of the Month


A new monthly feature here on GrowMama, where I share a few finds of the month. 

So! The Finds of the Month rundown for December....

Clothing find of the month: Handmade Indian shift dress. $12. Despite the distinct lack of summery weather so far, I have managed to wear this 'new' dress to a few diverse functions in the past few weeks. I found it in a brief stint in a newly discovered op shop with a very tired young boy in tow. I knew I only had minutes. No time to try it on so I grabbed it and had my fingers crossed. It fitted! Like it was made for me. It's a handmade cotton shift dress with pockets and rivet detail around the neck. It had a bunch of over-the-top kinda odd enormous beads stitched in random places and I spent a few hours while listening to Russell Brand's the Trews and TED talks unpicking the lot of them. That print and the rivets is quite enough embellishment for me thanks. I love that about buying secondhand. At $12, I could afford the gamble.

New favourite op shop: the Hospice store on Don Buck Rd in West Auckland. 

Favourite recipe: Vegan vegetable dumplings from Gwyneth Paltrow's, It's all Good cookbook. These are SO good. She has a great gluten free recipe for the dumplings in the book. We make the dumplings from scratch here. And, er, may add organic free range chicken to the mix. Ahem. There is a lovely tutorial over HERE

Favourite TED talk: Sir Ken Robinson's How Schools Kill Creativity. Over HERE. Now, I had heard about this one for ages but embarrassingly hadn't seen it - I was pleasantly surprised, he has an important message and is a total crack up to watch/listen to. Good combination. Sort of a tweedy older academic version of Russell Brand. Well, maybe not...but just as worthwhile listening to.

Newly discovered website: Elephant Journal. A cool online magazine.

Favourite food: BLUEBERRIES! 'Tis the season. Finally. And 2 punnets for $5. It may not be summery weather yet, but I have blueberries, all is well. 

Book of the Month: I am still harping on about the new Organic Explorer print book. We're off on a roadie this summer and I am looking forward to exploring more with the help of NZ's premier eco-tourism guidebook. And $10 including postage is just crazy talk! HERE

Most read blog of the moment: The Free People blog. A little bit of everything and perfect styling for the festival/summer/beach vibe. 

And a tip off from Katherine: Designer Wardrobe. A few folks on facebook have been lamenting the lack of good classic designer wear on trademe lately. My guess is that it's listed on the Designer wardrobe site. HERE. You're welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment