Tuesday, April 28, 2015

the hemlock tee


 I like simple patterns that I can tweak and use in many different ways. I have been on the lookout for a good jersey T shirt pattern and have found it in Grainline's Hemlock Tee. Not only is it everything I had been looking for, it is FREE. Yup. You heard me right. Thank you Jen! You can meet Jen of Grainline Studio and download a fabulous Hemlock Tee pattern of your very own HERE
Short version of the review is: I love it! Long version below:
(Warning: Sewing geekery follows...)

The Hemlock tee is super easy to sew. It's a good beginner pattern for you folks who are terrified of sewing jersey knits! I didn't even use an overlocker, and psst, nor did I finish any seams. Jersey doesn't fray and I certainly don't mind...I like to leave jersey seams free. If I finish them it can add more bulk or scratchiness to the garment. And before you purists comment all outraged...I am still wearing garments I made like this years ago, they do last!

I am not sure what fabric this one is. I got it for fifty cents at an opshop. It's a warm silvery grey and so soft it feels like I am wearing a cloud. Possibly silk blend jersey? Whatever it is, I love it. I widened the sleeves on this one. The fabric has such a nice drape, I wanted to make the most of any movement in the garment. It gets a lot of comments.


The dynamic duo photobombing my shoot. (Just be glad the puppy was shut inside, sheesh that pup can move fast!)

This one is in a thin cotton jersey. You can't tell in the photo but the overall colour is a gentle brown but there are threads of blues and greens in there. I had the tension wrong for the twin needle hem but the hems wiggliness is calming with washing. 

Hemlock tees are a super success for me. I have one on the go in a woven fabric as an experiment. I found THIS blog post about the making of a woven tee after I was three quarters the way through mine, and have a bunch of unpicking to do around the neckline. Definitely use a bias binding neckline. Good thing I don't love that fabric, I am not sure it will survive the unpicking. I do like a good experiment and hey, it's been a good long while since I had any significant unpicking to do. x

No comments:

Post a Comment