Saturday, June 6, 2015

Nature as Teacher


One of my most enduring memories of childhood was the day my mum took us over the road to a freshly mowed field. 
The field was next to the busy Southern Motorway but that is not what I remember. 
I remember it being sunny and smelling delicious. I feeling connected to my mum and that her eyes were all lit up in a way I didn't see very often. I remember bare feet and the bugs I found and rolling in the grass with my little sister. Most of all I remember mum made a HUGE nest out of the cut grass and we climbed in. I remember lying curled up there looking up at the clouds and feeling safe and loved. I found it interesting that my most enduring childhood memory was not going to an amusement park, or an overseas trip or a movie, or a school event. It was building a huge nest in a field with my mum and little sister. It says a lot really.

Nature. Whether we live urban or rural, we are part of it. We humans tend to forget that.
Being in nature and using natural materials costs nothing or very little.  Nature is always on our doorstep, literally under our feet, so is very accessible.
Nature is an incredible designer, architect, engineer, artist and mathematician. We have much to learn from Nature.


At the AHE Homeschooling Conference a few weeks ago I gave a workshop called 'Nature as Teacher - Using the Natural World as Inspiration in Homeschooling. It was a lot of fun.
We looked at the arguments on why learning in and about the natural world is important in these changing times. We dove into a few nature based activities that are easy to recreate at home. Over the next few weeks I want to share a few of those resources and ideas with you. It's not just for homeschoolers, it's for life. Most of all, it's about shifting our perspective and noticing the little details of the natural world and allowing our innate curiousity about how things work drive us to find out more. Nature really is the coolest.x


2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful memory Anissa. Nature is the best teacher of all. How lucky you were to have such a mother, and now it's Jed's turn to benefit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a gift that keeps on giving. The very best kind. xx

      Delete