Thursday, July 16, 2015

The best baking


Every recipe I try out of Gywneth Paltrow's It's all Good cookbook is a winner. The Bummer Bar is no exception. I think it's a terrible name, but sheesh they taste good and there is so much goodness in them. This recipe comes from her best friend, Mary, who runs a pop up kitchen in LA called Treat Street.
These are vegan, gluten and refined sugar free so if we're going to a gathering where folks have a diverse range of dietary choices, these bars tick all the boxes.
I am famous for flying out the door without having breakfast on busy days...these bars do the trick nicely as a breakfast bar too.

Bummer Bars

1 and a half cups quinoa flakes
1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
a pinch of sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (I like to grate mine fresh)
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (I use the fresh root but double the quantity)
1/4 cup good olive oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons brown rice syrup
1/2 cup prunes or apricots (I use dates or whatever dried fruit is on hand)
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (we don't really do pecans in NZ, I use almonds)

Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a brownie pan with baking paper.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and pack the mixture into the lined pan. Pack it down firmly with a spatula. Bake for 1/2 hour or until firmed up and golden brown. I like mine a little chewy still rather than crunchy. When cool, lift the bar out by the baking paper and slice into squares.

Easy and so very good.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment