Saturday, October 24, 2015

a summer sewing jag



I got some early summer sewing in this year. Thanks to the need for therapeutic sewing kicking in and the unexpected trip to Fiji I got on a roll. I think my bag for Fiji was 75% handmade garments. I keep considering taking the year long pledge to only wear handmade clothes but I only wear second hand and handmade anyways. Plus there are all those amazing vintage pieces to consider.

I have been trying out a range of indie sewing pattern designers lately. Indie Sew is a good place to get an overview of what's out there. have seen the Wiksten tank pattern all over blogworld and it was about time I tried it out. It's my favourite so far. I've made a few tanks and a linen tank dress- below, in a fab pinstripe linen I picked up at Fabric-a-brac. It's a simple design but the lines are just right. The navy blue block striped pattern fabric above I found in an op shop for fifty cents and was thrilled to get a shirt out of it. It's on high rotate with a plain chambray version. 


Next up is the Tessuti (so not really an indie designer but still downloadable in pdf form) Ruby Dress/Top. It has cutaway armholes and this linen has a beautiful drape to it. 


I have been using this closure (I think it's from the Lou Box Top, next up) with an elastic loop and vintage buttons. It allows a bit more give without having to undo the button and livens up a plain back nicely.


Another big favourite is the Lou Box Top  from Sew DIY. The navy/blue/mustard check was my muslin. The pattern comes with a choice of necklines and hems. I had to take the mushroom colour fine linen one off to photograph it, excuse the creases. The Lou Box Top makes up nicely in stretch fabrics as well as woven which makes it a super handy pattern to have in your wardrobe creating toolbox. I have a few plain tshirts made up with this pattern too. 
All of these patterns fit my brief of being fast and easy to whip up. So satisfying. With all this sewing I really am going to have to open my online pop up shop I think.  
Kinda hard to imagine wearing summer linen clothing today, I am all bundled up in a woollen jumper and scarf. The New Zealand spring is a tumultuous thing




No comments:

Post a Comment