Thursday, October 1, 2015

Fiji


We are just back from Fiji. I didn't work the whole time I was away and was totally off line. No screens! And nope, I didn't even get twitchy. I read three books and we swam a lot. It was such a treat to just hang out. We played a lot of skim ball (those Wadoba ones are so fun), laughed a lot and loved discovering the local wildlife. It's been 7 years since I was last in Fiji. So many changes. I was sad not to see some friends (hi Buna and Kay!) and happy to see some others. I was grateful to have that insider knowledge and local connections - Fiji can be so touristy in places - it is nice to have the groundedness of knowing locals too. Such a beautiful place and peoples. It's a special place, Fiji.


We took a boat out to an island off the mainland for the second half of the trip. Jed has been snorkelling for years in our local streams and finally got to snorkel around a tropical reef. I will never forget the look on his face after his first dive. Beautiful. Another world opening. The colours! And on his last snorkel he suddenly swam super fast into shore. He'd spotted a huge leopard eel going back into a crevice. Unforgettable.








1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful adventure. And being off line is a special treat these days! I've been off-blog; nice to be back and to visit you again.

    ReplyDelete