Friday, August 5, 2016

Chickweed pesto - Free greens!


I try and eat wild greens every day. Chickweed is one of my favourites. My garden is running wild with it at the moment. It contains potassium, calcium, iron and zinc and because it's picked and eaten fresh, you benefit from the vitality of the plant too. Plus it's delicious. And FREE! I eat it on it's own, throw it in salads, sprinkled on beans or add it to juices and smoothies. And last weekend I remembered I could make a pesto from it. I put a bowl full in the blender with a handful of soaked almonds, olive oil, garlic and a pinch of himalayan salt. I liked it so much I hauled out my friend Nicki MacKinnon's recipe for her wild weed pesto and made it her way too. So good! I had forgotten. Funny how I go through cycles of making certain foods. Every now and then I like to go through my recipe folder. I am reminded of all the good things. There are many recipes from different periods of my life, recipes that come from my old neighbours in France, or the family I stayed with in Indonesia or that friends gifted me in Croatia. A wander through my recipe folder is like a trip through a photo album, but through the taste buds.


No comments:

Post a Comment